In today’s environment, a critical business application may be comprised of multiple parts running on multiple servers — all connected by your network. Web servers provide the customer interface; application servers deliver the functionality; and database servers house the transactional data. IT Operations must support all these pieces, as well as the network.
To deliver that level of support, you must be able to simultaneously monitor and rapidly troubleshoot the performance of your server, the virtual servers and the application infrastructure — and also the network infrastructure. The SevOne Data Platform collects and analyzes key metrics to provide complete and instant visibility into the performance of your physical, virtual, and application infrastructure. SevOne automatically builds a baseline of normal behavior for each performance indicator, and triggers dynamic threshold-based alerts when performance levels deviate from their historical norms. These capabilities enable you to monitor and proactively manage the entire application infrastructure from the same performance solution you use to manage your network services.
With SevOne you can view metrics for the server and application infrastructure alongside bandwidth utilization metrics to gain complete visibility into potential or current performance problems. You can investigate performance issues quickly by drilling into the associated application flow data to isolate the cause of the issue before any impact on business operations occurs.
SevOne gives you a wide array of ways to effectively monitor the performance of your servers, without having to deploy costly agents:
Server and Process Monitoring
- Monitor server CPU, memory and the number of instances of each process, and be alerted when a process stops running or uses too much CPU or memory
- Employ Process Monitoring to diagnose which process running on the server has the highest utilization, and easily see which process consumes the most memory on the server
Virtual Server Monitoring
- Provides visibility into both virtual and physical environments by monitoring all layers — OS and processes, applications (JEE, .Net), and the network
- Monitor and troubleshoot the response times of individual application components and servlets, as well as server resource utilization
- Dynamically discover VMware ESX hosts associated with the vCenter through the vSphere API
Windows Server Applications (WMI)
- SevOne supports the collection, monitoring and reporting of Windows server application key performance indicators via the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
Domain Name Server (DNS)
- Monitor DNS servers and their response times through immediate visibility to determine if issues are in the network or are due to poor DNS performance
Java Virtual Machine Monitoring
- SevOne supports monitoring of Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) infrastructure via the JMX (Java Management Extensions) API
- Any key performance indicator exposed by the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) can be selected for monitoring from a GUI-based configuration screen
- Visualize common JMX or MBean indicators, such as per-component transaction rates, per-thread memory and CPU utilization, and thread and connection pool utilization
- Ensure the correct operation of large, multi-tier Java platforms, such as Apache Tomcat, IBM WebSphere, Oracle WebLogic, Red Hat JBoss, SAP, and many others
- TCP pings at scheduled intervals to measure response times and to generate alerts of threshold violations or deviations
- ICMP provides simple ping response measurement from the the SevOne Data Appliance to the device being monitored to ensure its availability
- Automatically query web pages via HTTP to determine availability, response times and error messages
Networks and the servers that use them have never been more interdependent, in large part because today’s complex and sophisticated online applications rely on multiple components across many different systems. Networks must accommodate the critical functions of network based servers (DNS, DHCP, gateways, etc.) as well as those of database servers, application servers, file servers, and so on.
Being able to monitor and proactively manage each of these systems and their applications is what differentiates a positive user experience from a negative one and what, ultimately, leads to business success. The list of what today’s IT staff must monitor and manage is incredibly long and complex:
- CPU and memory
- The number of instances of each process
- The initiation and end of the DNS process
- The amount of CPU being used by the database
- Correlation of the Java application’s JMX or Mbean metrics with bandwidth utilization
- Monitoring page availability, thread utilization, session state and server cache utilization for web applications
- Discovery and identification of new virtual machines
- Monitoring guest OSes and processes to ensure proper service levels
- And many, many more
The Systems Performance Management solution from SevOne allows you to accomplish all those tasks, and more, with one solution on a single pane of glass. You can monitor each different system for the various types of information needed to evaluate their role in supporting your users’ online experience and your business goals.
Systems Performance Management and Network Performance Management Working Together
System performance monitoring and management from SevOne, is tightly integrated and is included with our network and applications performance management solution, giving you a holistic and real-time view end-to-end.
Agentless, Automatic Data Collection
- Collects essential data automatically from your critical systems, including from any Element Management System (EMS) that individually manages them — without agents
- Provides network-wide reporting for quick problem isolation and resolution, utilizing dashboards that show the relationship between individual system performance indicators and the application or business metrics
Baseline Generation, Tracking and Analysis
- Dynamically generates baselines for all data, then tracks the actual performance levels against these baselines, and proactively alerts you to problems before they can have an impact on business users
- Uses patent-pending SevOne Cluster™ technology which provides unlimited scalability, while still delivering network-wide analysis across millions of elements within seconds