In situations where you need to view summarized data across multiple objects, the SevOne Data Platform provides a GUI interface that allows you to create Custom Calculations. Custom Calculations can also combine metrics from different data sources, such as WMI and SNMP.
Common ways in which SevOne customers use Custom Calculations include:
- Understanding total application bandwidth - Custom Calculations allow you to total all traffic for a business-critical application that traverses multiple links in order to better understand total application bandwidth and ensure the application servers are capable of handling a significant increase in traffic.
- Comparing site response times - You can see the combined average of all response times for all connections at a particular site to reveal if one of your sites is performing below par, compared to the other sites.
- Supporting usage-based billing - Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can use SevOne’s Custom Calculations to support usage based billing. In situations where customers utilize multiple WAN links, Custom Calculations allow you to add and report on customers’ total monthly bandwidth consumption across all lines.
- Assessing effectiveness of load balancing - In load balanced environments, Custom Calculations allow you to view how many people connected to your web site on a daily basis when the traffic is balanced across multiple interfaces. Or you can determine if any traffic has been dropped by comparing the number of connections hitting the load balancer versus the total number of connections hitting each of the severs in the pool. Going further, Custom Calculations allow you to determine if one of the servers in the pool is not operating as efficiently as the others by revealing the percent of total connections across all servers.
- Determine power efficiency of the data center – By comparing power consumed versus the number of connections served, along with other metrics from the cooling systems or internal and external climate data, you can benchmark the power efficiency of your data center and properly plan for future expansion.