Complete and Immediate Visibility
Bandwidth demands for MSOs and wireless carriers continue to increase at phenomenal rates. In fact, according to Gartner’s bandwidth estimating model, data growth per user can easily reach 30% to 50% per year, in particular due to video. Where legacy TDM (T1/E1) based technologies struggle to cope with consumer data demands, operators have turned to cost efficient, scalable, and future proof Carrier and Metro Ethernet to address the explosive growth in traffic. With the increase in new technologies from vendors like Tellabs, Ciena, Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, and eNID vendors like Accedian, RAD and others, the number of possible backhaul failure points and bottlenecks requires new levels of scalability and visibility of end-to-end performance. Proactively monitoring the performance of the IP/Ethernet backhaul infrastructure is critical to successfully delivering the levels of service customers demand.
SevOne’s scalable performance management solution allows cable MSOs and wireless carriers to effectively manage and optimize network capacity while reducing backhaul expenditure and customer churn. With the SevOne network performance management solution, operators can:
- Proactively monitor network performance to ensure the infrastructure meets current service level agreements.
- Generate capacity projections to identify future bottlenecks.
- Proactively alert on service impacting performance events to reduce customer churn.
- Regardless of the infrastructure’s size, SevOne delivers affordable, real-time system wide visibility, without sacrificing the speed required to effectively troubleshoot service impacting events — speed at scale.
Comprehensive Visibility through EMS Integration
Incumbent vendor-specific Element Management Systems (EMSs) allow providers to monitor backhaul network elements for each specific section of the infrastructure (i.e. core/distribution, access, or edge) and for generating synthetic tests like ITU Y.1731 and IEEE 802.1ag across these sections of the infrastructure. However, these vendor-specific systems are disjointed and unable to provide consolidated end-to-end visibility of performance and service delivery across these multiple technologies.
Similarly, network management protocols such as SNMP are designed to extract performance metrics from networking equipment. Yet many backhaul components do not support SNMP, and some operators are moving away from SNMP data collection due to concerns of deployment complexity and security.
SevOne, in partnership with leading mobile carriers and MSOs, collects and imports bulk performance statistics from key element management systems for their backhaul equipment providers, including Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Ericsson, Ciena, RAD, Tekelec, as well as EXFO/Brix Networks. SevOne supports more than 15 performance metric collection methodologies, including SNMP, NetFlow, IP SLA, ICMP, and XML, along with the ability to collect and integrate other time-based metrics via SOAP web services APIs.
End-to-End Performance Optimization
Mobile carriers and MSOs must understand the performance of their backhaul links so that they can segment the network and isolate troublesome spots easily, optimize performance, and increase customer quality of experience (QoE).
Proactive visibility from SevOne enables the fast and timely resolution of performance problems reducing the need for expensive truck rolls. Furthermore, operators can effectively plan for the future by understanding the historical performance of the network including the ability to keep up with deviations in network quality trends across markets, customers, partners, and more.
By importing results from probe-based synthetic test systems from Alcatel-Lucent, Accedian, and EXFO/Brix Networks for Y.1731 and IEEE 802.1ag message tests, SevOne delivers complete historical and proactive baselines from the demarcation (eNID) devices or site routers at each end of the circuits. SevOne displays computed KPIs for the circuits including frame delay, frame delay variation, frame loss and also throughput. With continuous visibility, operators have all the data needed to understand current and historical service performance.
Bandwidth demands for Multi-Service Operators (MSOs) and wireless carriers continue to increase at phenomenal rates. Where legacy technologies struggle to cope with consumer data demands, operators have turned to cost-efficient, scalable, and future-proof Carrier and Metro Ethernet to accommodate the explosive growth in traffic.
Monitoring the performance of this IP/Ethernet-based backhaul infrastructure is critical to successfully delivering the levels of service customers demand. With the increases in new technologies, the number of possible backhaul failure points and bottlenecks requires new levels of scalability and end-to-end performance visibility.
To monitor Ethernet backhaul performance and reduce costs by optimizing network capacity, the world’s top MSOs and wireless carriers have deployed SevOne’s performance management solution, thereby doing much more with far less.
- Automatically monitors backhaul network elements across the infrastructure (i.e., core/distribution, access, or edge).
Synthetic Test Monitoring
- Collects and reports on synthetic tests, like ITU Y.1731 and IEEE 802.1ag.
Bulk Performance Statistics
- Collects and imports bulk performance statistics from key EMS for backhaul equipment providers, including Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Ericsson, Ciena, RAD, as well as EXFO/Brix Networks.
- Complete historical and proactive baselines from the demarcation (eNID) devices or site routers at each end of the circuits.
- Reports of Key Performance Indicators, including frame delay, frame delay variation, frame loss and throughput.
Network Performance Monitoring
- State-of-the-art and world’s most scalable network performance monitoring to ensure the infrastructure meets service levels and addresses future demands.
Backhaul Infrastucture Optimization
- Optimizes Ethernet backhaul infrastructure to support increased multi-media traffic levels and new markets and geographies.
Performance Issue Identification
- Isolates, determines, and issues alerts about performance issues prior to service impact to deliver on customers’ expectations.